Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Conquering Fears

Anna and Kate are finally taking swimming lessons.  I figured now that I have number three, it's time for number one and two to know how to swim.  Or else it's time for me to grow a third arm.

I thought it might get old, dragging them off to the pool a couple times a week.  But watching them lined up on the side of the pool--waiting for their instructor to {gasp} dunk them under the water--I found myself grinning from ear to ear for the full 45 minutes.  

I knew they were afraid.  Kate especially.  But there's something about an authority figure other than mom telling you to do something like jump into the water.  They just did it.  And then they'd come up out of the water and give me a thumbs up.  Seeing them progress week to week and overcome their fears has been awesome.  I know a lot of little kids will stick their head under the water, but for some reason, seeing mine do it makes me feel so proud.


There are about 7 kids in the class, but Kate sits right next to Anna.



Anna will put her face in the water....if she has to.
Otherwise, she swims like this.


Kate, on the other hand, prefers to be under the water.  
It was crazy.  She just decided one day that she loves it and
started belly flopping off the side.  Anna just belly laughed, but 
didn't care to join in for the flopping.


Coming up for air.  She looks like the Swamp Thing.


The thumbs up.  And some pretty sweet goggle ears.


Luke just watched from the side (fingers in his mouth) and gave 
them a courtesy eyebrow lift.

14 comments:

Bryner Family said...

Cute! Jill has taken lessons for two years but each year she has to fight the fear again. I'm putting her in beginning lessons here because I'm not sure how much she learned in her last classes. Miranda is choosing not to do lessons this year. :) She'll probably change her mind as soon as she sees Jill in the pool without her! Luke is way too cute for his own good! :)

Erin said...

I love to watch Taytum and Price swim and do it so well...probably because I stink at swimming. I swim like Anna...head out of the water at all costs. Taytum is just like Kate...swims like a fish and she just started swimming competatively. It makes me so proud to watch a little 5 year old do perfect strokes! I definitely know what you are feeling!

Dawn said...

Oh Nicole they are so cute. We miss you guys and those cute cute kids.

Heather said...

I thought I had posted a comment but it didn't pop up. Anyway, Esther will be taking swimming lessons this summer from her cousins and she is so excited! She went swimming in their pool on Memorial Day and we couldn't get her out of it. She is fearless (like her daddy) in the water and though that's supposed to be a good thing, it scares me!

Brynn said...

Oh yeah for them. Swimming is the best. Atleast for kids. I dont really care for it. It gives them so much confidence. I love to see Liza swim. She has just taught herself (because she swims everyday) and she is one tough swimmer now. The pictures are so cute.

The Jonas Family said...

it is fun to see kids learning to swim. Our son is in private lessons now before we move to arizona.

aftonicole said...

I like the pic of kate as the swamp thing, thats what I thought even before I read your comment! I just love your family! :)

Shelly Bean said...

nicole,
your kids are so beautiful... and i am amazed at your photography skills. i am glad you found my blog awhile ago. it is so fun and nice to see what you are up to. you seem like you have a really nice life. i am so excited to now be a mom. owen is so much fun. i can't imagine having 3! but i am sure you can hardly believe you have 3. i wish you lived close...

Christensen Family said...

Always love your pics. I found your sister Lynettes blog...how fun her blog is! You pedersons are so talented! I'm jealous that she's taking a photography class. Someday.

Meghann said...

You take the most amazing photos of your kids! They always look so professional. My 5 year ols Jack is in swim lesson right now. I know what you mean- it is hilarious and so entertaining to watch him flop around everywhere like a fish.

Amy G. said...

it looks like they're totally getting the hang of it! and that was my philosophy this summer...at least ONE of the three need to be swimming before the end of the summer or the tally's going to be down to two!

Kar said...

That picture of Kate made me laugh so hard. Love the goggle ears. I need to sign Dylan up for lessons again this year...

Jenny said...

what great pictures! i love how your girls are friends, so sweet. and that picture of luke is adorable.

my max is scared of the water. he's gotten much braver in the last year, but still doesn't like it. all three boys start swimming lessons next week. max will be with jonah in a class, so i'm hoping it all goes well. :)

Anonymous said...

make sure when u shower you wash your pu--y really well girls, I will be in to check with my fingers and tongue