Better late than never, right?

Kate started preschool and is more than excited about it. She has the same teacher Anna had last year and we all love her, so we're happy about that. Kate was with me every time I dropped Anna off or picked her up, so she was already very familiar with the routine before it all started. When I took her the first day she marched right into the classroom and only after much pleading did she even turn around to give me a glance. I'm very happy to have her there.
On another note...I've become one of those mothers. I'm homeschooling Anna for kindergarten. I made the decision a few months ago and as the time got closer and people started questioning my decision, I felt a bit of anxiety. But now that we're in the middle of it, I have no regrets. I'm glad we're doing it and I think it will be good for all of us. Right now I'm just planning on doing it this year, but I'm not 100% on that yet. It really depends on our experience this year and the schools where we live when she starts first grade.
Now I just need to go make me a prairie skirt and a bonnet and I'll really fit the part. :o)
And for those who asked, here is the soup recipe:
Butternut Squash Soup
3 leeks, chopped, white parts only (you can use an onion in place of this)
4 medium carrots, chopped
5 Tbsp. butter
3 lbs. buternut squash, peeled and cubed
6 c. chicken broth
3 medium zucchini, peeled and sliced
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 c. half & half
1/2 c. milk
Parmesan cheese, for garnish
Saute leeks and carrots in butter for 5 min. Add all but half & half, milk and cheese. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Simmer for 30 minutes and then let cool until lukewarm. Puree in blender in batches. Return to pot. Add half & half and milk. Reheat, but do not boil. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
**My sis in law gave me a great tip. If you bake the squash first, it makes it very easy to peel. I put it in the oven for about an hour at 200.
This soup is wonderful. I like to serve it with Peasant Bread. Meghann, I hope you don't mind if I share your recipe for this! This is really easy to make, just be sure you leave yourself time for it to rise.
French Peasant Bread
2 c. hot water (not boiling)
2 tsp. yeast
2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. sugar
Stir everything together until all is dissolved. Then add 4 c. flour and stir. Dough will be sticky. Let rise for one hour in a bowl. Grease cookie sheet with olive oil and then sprinkle with corn meal. After dough has risen, split it in half. And then you literally plop the two globs of dough onto the cookie sheet. Let the two heaps rise 45 min. to 1 hour. Bake at 425 for 10 min. Reduce heat to 375 and bake another 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Note: the bread is best if you brush it with olive oil before, during and after you bake it. Enjoy!


18 comments:
Are you going to homeschool for 1st grade too or just kindergarten? I can't wait to try this yummy recipe. Thanks!
Love the post. I can't believe your photographs are getting even better! I wouldn't have thought it was possible! :) I need to come over for another photography Q and A!
By the way...I will most likely be one of "those" moms as well. I've been reading about schools and education lately and I am really feeling very positive about homeschooling!
I've had fun looking through your blog and seeing your adorable kids. You still look great as usual too.
I am excited to try your recipes. I love to cook soup and bread in the fall.
Great pictures! Is it the camera or just you?
The recipes look yummy, I must try! I recently got a really good Honey whole wheat bread.
So, you are homeschooling? How is it going for you and Kate? Do you have a curriculum? I don't think I could do it. I also think my kids learn best by another source. They would be too distracted at home. But good luck! How do you do it?
Okay, Nic, I'm sure you're tired of the questions, but I sincerely want to know your "whys" on homeschooling. if it's a long answer you could just email me back. I've been thinking a lot about school, since we're rapidly approaching the beginning of it for us. I'm not ready to let go of Ty yet, so he won't start preschool til next year. Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it all.
Good for you for homeschooling! I think it's a great idea- let me know how it goes. And I'm always thrilled to try one of your delicious recipes!
Nicole- Oh how I miss you guys! You are one of my most favorite people ever. I feel honored to be invited to live in your "neighborhood", I would move there in a heart beat! I wish we could just sit down with a bowl of butternut squash soup and catch up. Hopefully one day! Until, then I love reading your blog and count myself lucky to know you.
After listening to some choice words Maddie is learning at school, I don't question your choice for one minute. I wish I had the patience to homeschool her. Good for you!!
Very cute pictures. I'm glad Kate likes preschool, Claire loves it as well. Good luck with Kindergarten.
And I think I have seen these recipes somewhere before....Hmmmm where could that be :)
so glad for the recipe! do you remember that other recipe i made of butternut squash soup? its consistancy was that of cheese whiz? oh man. it was honestly the only thing jess has refused to eat of my dinners. you couldn't even gag it down. so i will be doing this one...if it ever turns fall here!
your girls are darling...even if you didn't take such awesome photos! Hey I'm still waiting to see disney land pics lady!!
Matt and I thought of you the other night as I was helping Glory and he was helping Maddy with homework. We both started off with sweet helpful and patient voices...and by the end we were both losing our cool and frustrated cause the girls were not listening. I looked at Matt and said "how does Nicole do this for more than even homework?"...he said "we just aren't cut out of the same cloth!"
Amen. You are awesome!
You are in good company. I know so many people that are taking the homeschooling plung and yes, they are NORMAL. I'm so proud of you and know you'll have an awesome experience with it. It's too bad our public schools stink so bad. On the other hand, it's awesome that we have homeschool as an option. It's probably the best we can offer our dear ones...us!
Thanks for the recipes! Cute pictures!
I'm famous! (At least I assume it was me that told you....)Happy Birthday!
i hope you're loving homeschooling! we thought a lot about it, and still consider it for the future. we're taking it one year at a time for each of our kids. i'm so glad you're doing what you think is best for your anna. it can be difficult when so many people have "ideas" about homeschooling. i'm sure you'll be an awesome teacher for anna.
I'm excited to try the soup recipe! I may make it and the bread for an upcoming lunch I am hosting :)
You are a brave woman to home-school. Good for you!
you're brave! can't wait for the updates. (and the pictures of you in a bonnet!)
MMmmmmm. Love the recipes. I will definitely give them both a try.
As for home schooling, way to go. I wonder which program you're using. I am very concerned about my boys schooling right now. The love the place but I have serious doubts as to whether they are getting what they need.
Thanks for the recipes! And good luck with the homeschooling!
Post a Comment