Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Let it Snow

Sunday night we were putting the girls in bed a bit later than usual. As I was getting ready to tuck them in Barrett peeked through the blinds in their room and said, "GIRLS! Look outside!" It was snowing! Being from Idaho, you wouldn't think I would have been so excited, but we don't get snow here very often. And in the almost five years we've been here, I have never seen it come down like it did that night and through the morning yesterday.

We let them skip bedtime, bundle up, and run outside to play. Off they went charging toward a hill to roll down with their arms outstretched, and through the muffled, snowy night I heard Anna yell, "It's like a Winter Wonderland!" They couldn't help but break out in a rendition of "Jingle Bells." I only hope the neighbors were as amused by their excitement as we were. When they came inside with rosy cheeks I had hot chocolate and blankets ready to warm them back up again. As they finally sauntered off to bed Kate said, "We have the best mom ever." I'll take that (especially since I'm certain she wouldn't repeat that sentiment today).

I think they went out four separate times yesterday to play while the snow was still nice and fluffy. We don't have very proper snow attire, but I sported some itchy wool socks on my hands and hurriedly helped the girls put together a miniature snowman. They called him "Frosting."


Catching Snowflakes


A/K catching snowflakes


Snowball Fight


"Frosting" and the girls

19 comments:

Maryanne said...

I've been waiting for you to post some snow pics! What total fun for your girls, and for you to let them out so late at night to play in it....you ARE the best mom ever! I'd be saying,"Sorry guys, if it's still here in the morning we'll go out then but for now you're goin' to bed!"

And what a perfect name for their cute little snowman - he does almost look good enough to eat!

Erin said...

Great pics! How fun to have a little bit of snow.

Kar said...

As usual, gorgeous pictures. And their little outfits are so cute! They look like they could be in a Gap Kids catalogue!!

Angela said...

I have to agree with Kar. Those pictures are so cute. I was thinking they could be in Family Fun Magazine. I think I have that same pink coat from Old Navy but it's maternity. It doesn't look nearly as cute on me!

How nice to hear that your the best mom. I wish I heard that more often.

Amy G. said...

I love it! Especially considering it's in the mid 80's here and it's good to be reminded that yes, it is still winter. I agree that you're the best mom ever...but I've always thought so :)

Jenny said...

i'm glad you guys are enjoying the snow. we're hoping that it stays far away from utah until next winter. :) your girls are so cute.

Leah Miller said...

Did Anna and Kate build that snowman all by themselves?! Lovely pictures. I remember last year (or maybe 2 years ago) it snowed on Easter in Williamsburg. It was 67 degrees in Utah today!

Bobi... said...

My family is happy that our snow is starting to recede enough to just barely see some grass. At the same time we're a little bit sad to see it go because we've had so much fun playing in it this winter! My sister lives in Fairfax and her family gets pretty excited to see snow when it comes too. So glad that your kids got to play in some snow this winter!
-Bobi

Nicole said...

You are the best mom ever! Those pictures are adorable.

Danny said...

Great photos. I love the colors. Finally got my pics up today. Couldn't pass up such a beautiful day.

Lauren said...

Wow- those pictures are amazing! I am so jealous- we haven't had any snow this year and the boys are dying for a "frosting" to build!

Lydia said...

That is such a cute story! I agree with your kids, too. It takes some pretty incredible parents to forget about bedtime and have fun outside with hot chocolate chocolate afterwards. Sounds like a perfect night, for sure. I love the pictures, and nice job with the snowman!

I have to say, it's a bit refreshing to read a positive outlook of snow falling. I think my fellow Minnesotans are growing tired of the snow, and I'm sure I'd be right there with them if I hadn't spent the past two months in warmer climates. There's a lot of grumbling going on in this area, so it's nice to hear someone excited about it :-)

Anonymous said...

you take the best pics. your girls look so happy. what an awesome snowman!

The Jonas Family said...

Wow, snow! We are far from that in Arizona! It is nice to be in warmer weather than last year! We love it here, but the snow does look beautiful! Enjoy! :)

Anonymous said...

Love the snow man! He looks so fashionable. but your girls look the cutest of all. I miss you guys!

Annie said...

That top photo is art. You captured such great emotion and innocence. I am in love.
How fun to have so much snow. It makes it magical when it's a novelty.

Reese said...

I LOVE your pictures. I am always envious of a great photographer who also has great subjects to shoot.
Oh, and you want to challenge me? I am afraid it wouldn't be much of a challenge for you, but it might be the one thing that will get me motivated.

KP said...

Just out for a quick blog! And so glad I stopped by! I can't believe how much snow you guys had. How fun! And you really are a wonderful mum! And friend, and example..... love you!

KP said...

Um, I blogged.