Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Spring in My Step

I love Spring.  I love everything about it.  I love watching the earth come to life and everything turn green, seemingly over night.  

On a family outing last week we drove through a gorgeous neighborhood and I was looking at the blossoming trees thinking, "What a shame the flowers don't stay longer."   But then, in thinking about it realized maybe that's what makes them so special.  Spring and its resulting blossoms are all the more treasured because of their brevity.  

A few nights ago I was putting Luke to bed.  Usually he dives head first into his crib and that's the end of it.  What can I say?  The boy likes to sleep.  But on that night, with the warm light from the setting sun filtering through his blinds, he let me hold him while he rested his little head on my shoulder.  In his room is a closet with a full length mirror.  I glanced over at it anticipating the reflection of me holding my little baby, swaying back and forth, both of us content.  Instead what I saw was something very different.  Instead of a baby cradled in my arms it was a little boy!  And I'm not sure where he came from or what happened to the baby I'm sure I had.  And so I held him a little longer and tried to etch the moment into my memory for safe keeping and realized how much childhood is like the Springtime.  Nature will take it's course and the next season will inevitably see these little blossoms replaced by maturity.  Yep, Spring is definitely my favorite season of the year.


And now a few pictures from our outing on a walking trail in the area.  I usually push Luke in the stroller but I let him follow his sisters, and follow he did!  I'm sure the farmer will appreciate the hundreds of dandelion seeds we blew onto his land.  


LukeChaseAnnaWeb
AnnaPickingDandelionsWeb
AnnaBlowingDandelionsWeb
LukeDandelionWeb
LukeLaughingWeb
LadybugWeb
Kate loves ladybugs!!

16 comments:

Mimi said...

Very beautiful post. I want to see the raw picture you took and then after PS. Or are those straight out of the camera? I love the snow pictures as well.

Maryanne said...

You got a new USB cable -- YEA! I would hide that thing. Hide it good!

So I have to tell you your post made me cry! It reminded me of when my oldest, Brooke, was a baby - she must have been around 1-year-old at the time. I was in her room putting her to bed and she fell asleep on my shoulder before I could lay her down in her crib, so I just stood there holding and rocking her for the longest time. I remember looking at our reflection in the window and feeling a bit sad. I wanted that moment to last forever. I was thinking to myself that it would be gone so soon and that someday I would look back on that night and think how quickly the time went and how fast my baby grew. Well, I was right. Brooke is now 20, a Senior at BYU, and is leaving this week to study in London for 2 months! I was already married at her age! The time did go by WAY too fast.

Maryanne said...

P.S. If you send "before and after" pics to Mimi, send them to me too! I'd love to see it (that is IF you used any photoshop!). Gorgeous photos, as usual. But of course I expect nothing less from you :o)

Niki said...

Oh how I know that feeling!! That "Please God, let this moment last forever!" kind of feeling. You're right. Childhood is the very best season!!

Christensen Family said...

So perfectly said! Loved the pics! So glad your blog is back...for the moment :) I want to see some of your bread!

Blogful said...

Great post. Been missing your awesome photos and entries. Luke is HUGE!

Amy G. said...

So beautiful...the words, pictures...LOVE it all!

Bobi... said...

It is a crazy thing the way children grow! Love your pictures Nicole. You have a beautiful family! Yeah for the new cable!!

aftonicole said...

I can't believe how big luke is! Mom sent me a pic on her phone from the beach today and I was like, WOW, he's big! I can't wait to see your family again, hopefully it wont be too long! love you all!

Lauren said...

I have missed seeing pictures of your kids- and I cannot believe how big Luke is! It's unfair that it goes by so quickly! (Yet the 9 months of pregnancy feel like years!)

Tera said...

It almost seems to go faster and faster with each child. My youngest is 7 months old now, but when he was first born I tried really hard to just sit and hold him and let other things go because I knew it was just going to fly right by...and it did.

Dawn said...

Wow that was great, I agree totally. And I can't believe how big your kids are, it doesn't feel like a year, but I guess everyone grows up faster then we think:) Great Pictures!

Angela said...

Love this post, Nicole. What a great writer you are. I'm glad I'm not the only one who got teary eyed reading it. Love the pictures too!

Trixie said...

Ditto to all above :) love the pics. I hope when I get my camera I can do some that are half as good as these! I can't believe the little man is getting so big!!

Camille said...

I'm so glad you are back! I have missed your beautiful posts. You are right - your little Luke is HUGE! They grow so fast.

Maria Babin said...

your photos are amazing!!! nicole. wow! you are even more talented than i remember!! can you please teach me how to take photos like that? darling darling children! and you must be such a great mom!