I flew to Utah with my three kids in tow to stay with my sister. She's pregnant (with number seven) and her husband had to leave the country on business for a week. I'm not sure how exactly we deduced that my coming there with three extra children would be any help to her, but there you have it. That was the conclusion we reached. And now we're back and we had a great time.
I remember the first time I traveled alone with my two girls. I didn't sleep for a week before-hand. Maybe I'm a little more seasoned now, but I slept just fine. I guess with enough experience you learn that you will in fact get from point A to point B and whatever happens in the middle is just "stuff." The only major glitch was our layover in Atlanta. Our first flight got in late and so we ran through the airport. I was carrying Luke, a shoulder bag, and dragging a carryon up and down escalators and whizzing on trams. I'm sure we were a sight. Somehow, the girls enjoyed it.
Long story short, we missed our flight and ended up in Atlanta for another six hours. My precautions as a germophobic mother went out the window. Kids playing on airport floors isn't my first choice, but when it's the only choice, you just close your eyes halfway and smile when someone asks for the thousandth time if you are traveling alone with three children. The plane rides are bearable as long as the dum-dums don't run out. I think we had 27. Each.
My brother and his wife hosted a gathering at their amazing home. My parents came down from Idaho and all the Utah siblings were able to come. And then I took advantage of all of them. My brother-in-law found four cavities (think it was the dum-dums?) and went to work. My sister cut my hair. I'm sure we ate through several siblings' pantries, drove their cars, interrupted schedules for lunch dates, met up with three of my Virginia friends (who never should have left) and made one of them watch my kids while I was being drilled on.
When we landed back in Virginia Kate said, "It seems like we were only there for a minute." I guess time flies when you're having fun. Thanks everyone!!




9 comments:
Congrats on accomplishing the travel nightmares All. By. Yourself! What an adventure. And now you have me really curious......is the sister who is expecting baby #7 by chance.....Lynette?? She fits the bill -she is your sister, she lives here, and she has 6 kids!
What a fun thing for your whole family to get together! It's probably a good thing (for you) that I didn't know you were here - I would have tried to hijack you to come tutor me on photoshop!
Can't wait to see some photos (your photos you posted aren't working)!
I'm so bummed I didn't get to see you. I should have pretended to be a sibling again.
I wish you had more time here! :( At least I got to see you and my girls, and my little MAN! I can't believe how big he is!
Glad your photos are working now :)
Looks like a blast! You didn't want to hop on another quick plane ride down here. Probably not enough dum dums, huh.
There is nothing better than playing with cousins. I used to live for our once-yearly trip to see them. And now my favorite cousin is moving to I.F.!!! Woo-hoo! Bless your heart for traveling with three kids alone. And bless your sister's heart for having seven kids!!
Yes. We have had some "fun" travel adventures going back west over the years as well. I especially love that look people give you when you are walking to your seat on the plane with kids in tow.....the one that says, "please don't sit here, please don't sit here!"
I love reading about your adventures with your big family, especially since it is such a different perspective being towards the end of the kids rather than being the oldest like me. I can only hope that my younger siblings speak as highly of me as you do of yours.
Love the pics as usual. My daughter just turned five as well and I share all your sentiments:)
That stinks that you missed your flight! I hope they gave you a discount or something! Sounds like you and your kids had a great trip. ps I think it's great when I get to sit by the people who give you the "please don't sit by me look"! Makes my day! :o)
You are a brave woman Nicole! Sad that we weren't out there at the same time. It sounds like we just missed each other on our out west trips.
Post a Comment