Sunday, October 12, 2008

Peanuts


If I go to a store, it's a rare occasion I leave without something.  

Case in point: Saturday I headed over to this place called "The Pottery Factory."  They name it that because "A Collection of Dilapidated Old Buildings That Should Be Condemned" doesn't really have a ring to it, nor would it solicit much business, I'm sure.  

I went to find a specific platter.  I saw it there last time I went which was, oh, three years ago.  See, when I returned home from that last expedition I realized I had made an appointment with a good friend and had totally stood her up!  (Sorry Amy, I still haven't forgotten).  

So because of intense feelings of guilt (and because the place is just weird) I've never gone back.  But I really wanted this dish.  And, of course, I couldn't find it.  We went on a scavenger hunt through places with names like "Solar 3" and "Building 21" (there's no building 20....or 19 for that matter).  Sorta makes it sound like a nuclear testing facility, but really it's just filled with stinky fake flowers and a whole bunch of other junk.  

Anyway, you'd think since the platter wasn't there I could've just left, but I didn't.  I had to see all the junk.  And while looking, Kate asked for a large bag of roasted peanuts in the shell.  I liked the bag they were in, so I bought them.  And Anna got some cheese.  I went for a platter and came home with peanuts and cheese.  But at least I didn't buy the "princess" lamp they wanted. (It was a bustier-type thing...pink satin and a black boa.  I didn't even try to explain the why behind my "NO!").

The weather has been ideal, so we sat out on our deck and shelled peanuts and ate cheese.  

A good time was had by all and I'm only down eleven bucks.


15 comments:

littlest said...

miss the pottery factory! would you mind getting me one of the little gnomes you put in your front lawn next time you go?
miss you

aftonicole said...

haha you crack me up! I love the alternate name for the pottery factory! When I was younger it was not as bad, we always went when we came to williamsburg for vacation. It's like a huge yard sale now!

Blogful said...

That place was creepy--but like you, I always ended up buying something. I think it might be a drug front too.

Heather B said...

I know it must have killed you to leave that lamp behind. Kudos to you on your self-restraint...

I must confess that in our three years there, I never did make to the "delapidated buildings...". If only I'd known what I was missing! Enjoy your peanuts.

Trixie said...

I never made it, but always wanted to go. Seems as though I didn't miss much. love the pictures, you need to teach me how to take such great pictures!! once i get a good camera, of course!

Dawn said...

Okay I totally agree, Matt and I went once and didn't know if anyone or anything was there. We walked into buildings that looked like they were closed but doors were unlocked. We ended up leaving just in case someone thought we were trying to break in:)

Mimi said...

4 kids then? Your first girl was born when we left I think...2003? Hi, so nice to see you :)

Reese said...

Cute story.

Hey, I was just wondering if you want to take a little 7 hour field trip down to Cincy. Brett Stewart is here staying with us while he takes some tests at UC and surprised Mindy and brought her along. We have been having fun shopping, making aprons, and I have been dragging her along to all my kids' activities. Wish you were here too!

Nora said...

and, after all that, still no platter. bummer. however, peanuts and cheese are one of my favorite snacks--i'm glad you and your girls enjoyed the yummies:) i've always thought 'the pottery' would be a great setup for a horror movie.

Anonymous said...

Come on nicole...you know you like to decorate your house with smelly plastic flowers! At least you know where to go if you ever need a basket of any shape and size!

A. Kuhni said...

Nicole,

Craziest thing. I ran into Chris Kelson's wife, Karli, today. She was in AZ visiting her family and she happened to be on this side of the valley. She and Chris just moved back to Boise so that Chris could take over his dad's ortho practice. They have 1 daughter and 2 sons. Anyway, she is going to email me and she said she might start a blog. Small world. I will give you her email address if you want and I will encourage her to get that blog started.

I also ran into Chad Bybee when I was in Utah last. It is fun seeing old faces and hearing what they have been up too. Those were good times with the guys from that apt.

Maryanne said...

That is so funny, because before we left on our vacation to Williamsburg this past summer, my sister-in-law (who had visited Williamsburg the summer before) told me about The Pottery Factory. She said, "Don't let the name fool you - it is a sick and scary place! But if you do want to go to it, DON'T TAKE YOUR KIDS. They may have nightmares after that if you do!" So needless to say, we didn't take our kids to The Pottery Factory, nor did we take ourselves there either!

Shelly Bean said...

nicole...you are so great! i love reading your posts.
i am interested in how the home schooling is going?
will you email me???
shelby@soelboutique.com

Kendra said...

You always crack me up Nicole. It means so much more when I know exactly what you're talking about. I did get our big picture of Christ framed there, and when we left it, we thought "what did we just do!!" You should have seen the people we left the picture with and their customer service was, well not good!! It all came out fine in the end and it was the cheapest framing I've ever done.

Kar said...

Yum. Cheeeeeeese. Eleven bucks? Dang!!