Friday, October 26, 2007

A Name?

Of course now that the baby is almost here, we are asked all the time what we're going to name him. When I respond "I don't know," I usually get an apology. Something like, "Oh, I'm sorry...you like to keep it a secret." Not at all....we really just have no idea! So sometimes I'll throw one around for a while to see how I like it and my kids usually give me their two cents too.

The other day, I had called maintenance because our alarm system was beeping. The fix-it guy came and fixed the system while we were out and about. He's a great guy...sort of looks like the quintessential maintenance man...very slender, has a mustache, and a nice mullet. He has a very southern way about him...a nice slow drawl and always calls everyone "honey".

Anyway, later that day as I was getting ready to run another errand, I asked the girls to get their shoes on. They went over to the basket by the door to get their shoes and there were coats stacked on top of the basket. So Kate said, "Mom! Why did you put these on the shoes?" It took me a second to figure out how they'd gotten there and then I realized the alarm system thing is in our coat closet, so I told Kate, "Oh, Jimmy must have taken those out when he was here." She sat there for a minute and said, "Jimmy...is that a boy name?" I told her it was indeed. She very seriously said, "We should name our baby brother Jimmy." I just about died laughing. Name Anna after me, Kate after her grandma and name the baby after the maintenance man...very clever Miss Kate. What do you think Joni? You know Jimmy!

So, any suggestions?

16 comments:

Dawn said...

I think you should name the little guy Lincoln, or Jimmy Sounds like a very charming southern gentlemen!

Jenny said...

i love to think baby names. :)
a fun site is:

http://www.babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

you can see how popular a name is/was.

another one is:

http://www.nymbler.com/nymbler/find-names.php

with that one, you can select names that you like, and it suggests names that kind of fit the same "name family."

i like lincoln, too. :)

Jenny said...

ok, so i couldn't resist. :) i wen tto nymbler and typed in the 4 names already in your family and asked for boy name suggestions. here are the first 15 names:

Benjamin
Julian
Rudy
Reuben
Charles
Graham
Jay
Richard
Emmett
Matthew
Nelson
Lincoln
Saul
Marshall
Jose

Amy G. said...

oh yes...jimmy's great! i haven't heard that one in a while.

i like emmett and charles from the list above--cause i know you wanted my two cents!

Leah Miller said...

My favorite names (at this moment) are:

Anderson/Andy (Ryan doesn't like)
Nicholas/Nick
Max (Ryan's favorite)
Patrick
Alex (Ryan doesn't like)
Harrison (but not Harry)
Charles/Charley

Trixie said...

Lincoln is pretty cool,and it "goes" :) And it's in the top 15!

Cherylyn said...

We are having a really difficult time with our boy name too. My family LOVES Kent so we could have a Clark and Kent...funny huh?! Tanner refuses to do that. We might end up waiting until we see the little guy...I can't wait to see what you guys decide!

Elizabeth Moon said...

Okay, here's one of my favorites:
Henry.
It could even remind you of the street the law school is on, or Patrick Henry. I think of a handsome, well-bred young man.
I also love:
Elliot
Asher
Alistair,
and Lincoln is way cool.
(SUCH a fun topic!!!!)

Dawn said...

you've been tagged, check out my blog

Abbey said...

A name....
I have always liked the name Beauregard (Beau for short) :D

Or Tristan, Torquil,
Or Jared, Cedric

I really like the name Ruark

Or Michael

Hugs to all!

Erin said...

Boy names are so hard! Good luck...I'm sure you'll come up with something that fits your little guy just right!

Amber said...

I am so new to this...but I love it already...I'm glad I'm not the only one obsessing about checking peoples blogs...I feel like I don't keep up with any friend cuz I have so much family...My parents are flying to Australia right now. Mindy and Brett moved in to my parents house, they are taking care of Melanie. Brett started his own group of choirs...kinda like you could sign your kids up for gymnastics or sports. All different aged choirs from sunbeam up. They do check your blog...I'm still trying to talk her into doing one. His website is www.ocmco.org

Annie said...

We got the same thing from people. We didn't decide on the name until 2 days after she was born. People just thought we were holding out on them but we really just didn't know what it was going to be!
As far as your name goes, I like the name Hinckley. We also would like to use the name Max if we have another boy. You are more than welcome to use any of our favorite names. We're not those kind of weird people that get offended if you "steal" their name. Remind me to tell you a funny personal experience we had with that one.

Mindy said...

Nicole, I just checked your blog! I amd so bad about this computer communication, or any I guess! I haven't checked blogs since the summer, but just did a couple days ago when Amber started hers. It is so fun to check your blog, I feel like I'm living closer to you. I miss you guys. I wished we still lived by you. I love how real you are on all your blogs. Is that what you call them? The night I checked your blog I stayed up that night telling Brett all of your stories. Man I miss you guys. You wouldn't know it with how bad I am with communicating. I should do this blog thing! Maybe Amber will have to orient me! Life is very busy, but when is it not? I work 2 mornings a week, and that makes me miss you too. Right now were housitting at my parents, who are in Australia on a mission. Melanie is with us, so were taking care of her. About boy names- they are always my hardest, and for some reason I never love them at first(they have to grow on me). Brett picked both of our boy names Clark, and Landon, and it wasn't until after they were born that I just decided I din't have anything better to offer. And now they've grown on me, and I love them. Another name Brett liked was Bryant. Congratulations on your new addition, your are so cute pregnant! Tell Barret Hi, and your girls are darling. Anyways, I know Blog comments aren't usually this long-sorry. What are your plans after Washington?! - Mindy

littlest said...

so is lincoln one of your names? very cute if so. as for jimmy...well at least you would always be ok if he had a mullet and a mustache! and as for the names that go along with your family names i was surprised to see nelson...i never see it anywhere!
i like emmett because it reminds me of silvarado...love that show.
ps...still working on six interesting things about me...

Kar said...

Wow, those sites Jenny talked about are a great idea. I'm pregnant right now, and we don't know what we're expecting yet, but we're getting a big boy vibe. I like Jimmy (but don't worry; I won't steal it!). I think we're going to go with Micah. If we have a girl, I think we're going with Claire.