Monday, July 2, 2007

Ode to My Mother

It really is true that the longer I'm a mother, the more I appreciate my own mother and realize how amazing she is. We've been trying to implement changes into the way we eat lately, one of those changes being eating whole grains. The ONE THING I have had a really hard time with is whole wheat pasta. I can do brown rice, I can do whole wheat bread, I can eat oatmeal, but I do NOT like whole wheat pasta. Until now!

I was thinking about some of the things my mom did growing up....like sewing everything from doll clothes to wedding dresses.....and one of the things she would do is make pasta. SO, I had an epiphany: "Maybe if I MAKE the whole wheat pasta, it won't be as disgusting and bitter as the store bought stuff." I found a pretty good deal on a pasta rolling machine, so I thought I'd give it a try. And alas, I was right! It's actually really good!

The making of the pasta certainly brought back some memories. Kate and Anna wanted to be involved so I let them crank the handle while I fed the dough through the roller like my mom used to. I had to remind them: "keep turning, keep turning, don't stop!" And it was weird to have the roles reversed. It seems like yesterday she was telling me the same thing when I wanted to crank the handle. So it was one of those moments when I felt like I actually WAS my mother. And that's really not a bad place to be. She's amazing.....now if only I could sew.


Anna with the almost finished product.

4 comments:

aftonicole said...

I'm sorry you had an epiphone....I'm not quite sure what it it is but that sounds painful!

Anonymous said...

I just hope I get invited over to try it! Although, given the prior post it sounds like I should be talking with the "real boss".. =) Talk with you soon 645-0919

Leah Miller said...

I think you should include the definition of epiphone for those of us who have a limited vocabulary (afton and leah)! OK, so I am quite impressed. I am still trying to manage the art of making a homemade dinner, let alone making the pasta to use in my homemade dinner. I love the comments about your Mom. Isn't it so true that you don't fully appreciate someone until you are in their shoes.

Amy G. said...

Yummy! I totally want to try that now!