Saturday, February 2, 2008

Groundhog Day

It's fitting.

Just a few days ago I was considering how much motherhood can sometimes feel like that movie. The one where Bill Murray is stuck living the same day over and over again. Although mine goes something more like this......

Wake up, feed the baby, feed the kids, get them dressed, try to get myself dressed, do the laundry, change a diaper, pick up the house, do the dishes, clean the bathroom, pick up the house, change a diaper, make dinner, do the dishes, get the kids in bed, pay bills, pick up the house, go to bed.....and then wake up to do it again the next day. And the next day.

I was thinking about this yesterday as I was folding a pile of laundry. The same shirts, the same pants, the same underwear....over and over and over. "Didn't I just wash these?" And here's the thing. I guess as time goes on I hope I'm learning from what happens around me. I've had enough experiences of my own and have watched enough of the experiences of others to realize that life can change in an instant.

So looking at each piece of clothing I realized that they represent the people in my life that I love the most. As much as I dread the daily household chores, I knew in that moment that the only way for the never-ending laundry to disappear would be for them to disappear. And if that happened, I guarantee I'd give anything to see their socks lying on the floor, their dishes in the sink, their toothpaste smeared on the counter. It would mean they were here and that I could be with them and hear them and touch them and feel them and love them. And that may not always be. I guess for a second I had a glimpse of reality. If mine changed, I know I'd want the mundane again.

If I remember correctly, as the movie progresses, Bill starts to figure it out. He still lives the same day over and over, but he changes his attitude--nothing else--and life improves. So, for today at least, I'm going to go do some laundry and feel grateful for the people that fill those clothes and in turn fill my days.

Happy Groundhog Day!

9 comments:

Kar said...

Well-said, Nicole. My kids bring me so much happiness. My life would be empty without them. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Dawn said...

yes thank you Nicloe. That is a great reminder. We truely don't appriciate things or people until they are gone.

Trixie said...

Thanks, I needed that!

Heather O. said...

Yuo, you nailed it.

Kathy said...

So, so true. That was a great reminder to keep our perspective.

Jenny said...

amen.
and happy groundhog day to you, too. :)

Amy G. said...

very perceptive. maybe it will help me make it through this week! thanks!

littlest said...

that's a good way to look at laundry! no...in all seriousness i feel the only way we can truly be content and happy is to find joy in these "mundane" things. don't you think? i just wish i had this posted all over so i could see it every second. it is sometimes hard for me to find that joy..:0) but i would rather have than not because that means i have my most treasured things all around me!
thank you for the reminder

ps. sometimes that show drive me crazy:0) but now i can see some usefulness out of it!!! hahhaha.

Bryner Family said...

That was beautifully written. I agree 100%. Our house got a contract on it today (hooray!) and Jill was getting emotional about having to leave our house and move to a new one and we ended up having a great discussion about how the only thing that truly matters is the people we love. As long as we have them, we can live anywhere with or without our "things," and we will still be happy! :) I'm grateful for the people who wear all of this laundry!!! :)