Monday, January 21, 2008

Under Control


A question I'm asked almost daily is, "How's it been adjusting to three?" My response usually varies, but really....I've got it under control. I'd be more than happy to share with you my Secrets of Success.

1. Wake up really early in the morning to wash and style your hair. On Sunday. And then wear it like that the rest of the week.

2. No time for breakfast? Leftover birthday cake will hold you over till lunch. If you add ice cream, maybe even till 1:00.

3. Laundry? Leave it in the dryer. Ours has become the "family closet". After a few days, voila, it's empty! (tip: if the clothes get wrinkly, just open the door, spritz some water in there and run it for a minute or two. Works like a charm!)

4. If your children are still in their pajamas at 3:30 in the afternoon, consider them ready for bed.

5. Better yet, if you are still in your pajamas at 3:30 in the afternoon, consider yourself ready for bed.

6. Cereal. It's what's for dinner.

Seriously, I've got it under control.

18 comments:

Danielle said...

Too true! I especially agree with the dryer as the family closet, I think we live out of ours. Maybe it's time to invest in a large capacity dryer...it sounds like you're doing great with 3, and really it does get easier!

aftonicole said...

I just have to say I love you! And I can totally agree with the, if your stillin your pjs at 3:30 consider yourself ready for bed. Consider it done! I love luke's smiles! Can't wait ot see you in a few weeks!

aftonicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trixie said...

So funny, I think even funnier, cause we all know it's true!

littlest said...

ah...finally someone has put it in writing. i feel so much better. of course you have it under control...you go girl!!!
rules to live by, right?

Kar said...

Ah. You make me feel so much better about my perpetually unstyled hair. I'm having a hard time adjusting to two kids, and it's been two and a half years! I think I'm going to die when I have my third. I think I'm crazy for having another!

Jenny said...

love your secrets of success. :)

so true. :)

Lynette said...

This is my favorite post! So funny because it is oh so true. The photo is priceless...and really, after three it's all the same. Same rules apply.

Bryner Family said...

Are you living my life? ;) Three is a blast but there's no such thing as "me time" anymore. And like my mother has always said, "I'll sleep when they're grown." :) I think I'm in a permanent state of sleep deprivation. And I still keep thinking about having another! Delusional!!!

Elizabeth Moon said...

LOVE this beautiful photograph and post. LOVE it.

Blogful said...

You're awesome. Sounds just like our house some days!
You could make some serious money with your photography skills. No joke.

Heather said...

Thanks for the tips! Now I'm all prepared for number two in June!

Amy G. said...

yes, very well put! i'm happiest when i'm not trying to do too much (which really is hardly ever!). i'm even wishing most days i hadn't put jonah in preschool this year. it's too stressful just to get them out the door!

Leah Miller said...

Whatever!! I live by you and I know better! As for the rest of us... very true.

Martin Family said...

This is so true. My husband keeps saying how are we going to do 5 kids and I say as long as we are all breathing at the of the day we are going to be fine. It really does get easier. Take it one day at a time. Those girls are going to be your lifesavers. They are like little mothers. Plus all day school, it is a beautiful thing.

Brynn said...

Nicole, you crack me up. You do have it under control, atleast I do pretty much the same and I think I've got it too. Although the water in the dryer BEFORE I start it again is a great trick. I think I re-run ours 5 or 6 times to "get the wrinkles out" before I actually pull out what's left. The PJ's thing is so true too. I love it when my kids are ready for bed early. It all works out!! Thanks.

Maryanne said...

Nicole, you don't really know ME but I'm Lynette's friend, and YOU were the first ever to comment on MY blog!

This post is the funniest I have ever read! I LOVE IT! It's just so very very very true ;)

I love your pics of Williamsburg. We are going there for our family vacation this June. Your pictures get me really excited!

Annie said...

What a beautiful baby!!! Wow.
And can I say, you make me laugh so hard. Love the pj thing. I can usually get Vance dressed for the day it's me that looks like I'm constantly ready for bed. I can't tell you how many times Drew has come home and I'm still in my pjs...especially in the first 6 months of Mimi's life. Thing are only starting to get better. Ahhh.